Why Do We Need Social Interaction?
Social interaction has always been an excellent indicator of sanity. Or at least, that is what previous scholars would like every person to believe.
Today, social interaction is much more than just a show-off of skills, but it has been proven to be a real source of happiness and a need for the human mind. With that, the following are the reasons why we all need social interaction.
- Psychologically, it prevents us from ever feeling alone. Whenever a person would feel alone, he would experience any one of the following:
- Distrust – this is the feeling that one would get when he lost touch with how to trust people. This one also means that the individual loses trust in himself such that he may have a hard time even making small decisions like what restaurant to visit and what to do on a work-free day.
- Emotional conflict – when a person feels alone, he has this emotional conflict that boils inside him. All of the things that he is worried about comes out, and he gets drowned in his problems.
- Lack of social support – when a person feels alone, he lacks the much needed social support that he needs to get and this lead to further mental problems like anxiety and depression.
Whenever a person would feel distrust, it becomes hard for him to handle any emotional strength than what he needs. Emotional conflict arises, and there is a feeling of lack of support.
However, when a person would interact socially, he allows himself just to let his hair down and enjoy. There is a support mechanism that gatherings have that seem to bring a lot of happy hormones to an individual.
- It distracts us from things that we have no control over. If you are the type of person, who is always worried about tomorrow, having just the right amount of social interactions would allow you to have that feeling of fun and excitement and lose focus on the things that you are dealing. For example, if you are having trouble at work and you feel overwhelmed by it, there is nothing good that would happen if you would sit in a corner and weep. Hence, you need to get out and have fun so you can face the troubles again tomorrow. In a way, you allow your brain to reboot and therefore giving you time to enhance your emotional capability and mental capacity of dealing with the problem.
- It allows us to have fun and enjoy the company of others. We need others to make us feel wanted – this one is a fact. Whether you are working alone or with a group, you still need to have social interaction that would allow you to be you. This one prevents a person from getting burn out and losing his mind over the small things.
- We see a world that is bigger than ours. If you think that the world revolves around your troubles, you are probably not going out much. People who have just the right amount of social interaction have a better understanding of what the world is all about. Hence, it gives them a certain level of peace.
- There is a chance that we would find our kind of crowd when we give a random social interaction a chance. You might end up seeing your next Saturday group or your next book club if you give going out a possibility. You may also find the right kind of people to spend Friday drinking sprees and sports events. All you need is to allow yourself to have social interaction randomly and everything will be alright.
- We prevent ourselves from losing grip on reality. When a person lacks the right amount of social interactions, he may end up with the following experiences:
- Impaired immune and cardiovascular functioning
- Poor sleep and appetite
- Social isolation
- Substance abuse
- Suicidal thoughts and behavior
Now that you know why you need to have social interactions, you also need to know about the things that could help you do a face to face interaction in the world of social media.
The following are some of the things that you can do to start your much-needed interaction.
- Join gatherings and see to it that you fully commit yourself to it. If you are in a party, be at the party. Drink and be merry. You should stop thinking about the things that you still need to do and enjoy the flow of everything. You are going to have the time of your life, and your brain is also detoxified giving you more time to work on things that are bothering you with more enthusiasm.
- Download an app that could help you know where the latest gatherings are and where everyone gets invited. Outlst is the perfect app for social interactions that are face to face. The creators had this idea of bringing social media, and real-life interactions as one goal of an app and the outcome are OutIst. This app is a must try for individuals who want to go even more social.
- Make sure that you are always ready to have a weekend off from your life and interact with the world. Weekdays are for work and weekends are for socializing. Never forget that you do not live to work but that you work to live so have fun and go out. Hence, schedule your weekends for socializing. You do not need to give the full weekend to it. How about some Friday night jams? You can also try some Saturday wine night with some of your friends. Brunch is also right on Sundays. If you are already feeling a little adventurous, why not try taking a short class on pottery where you can meet new friends? Or maybe you can drink at the local pub to ignite the social flame? Whatever it is that you want to do, you must be open to it and dedicate time to it as well.
If you are starting out, you can start by doing any of the following things:
- Spend 2 hours at a public park. You do not even need to do anything at the park. Read a book and see how people interact. Find solace in being surrounded by people, and you may find yourself in the process.
- Take a jog or join a marathon. These activities allow you to expand your mind and exercise your body. You may also get to meet people and share experiences about previous marathons and events that you enjoy.
- Join a book club. A book club may not be an enjoyable activity, but for those with very introverted personalities, this one is the best way of making sure that you still socialize.
- Schedule get-togethers with your friends during the weekends. Seeing your friends, even if you are going to attend a concert, or see a play, could help you become more social as it expands your network and you get to meet other people along the way.
There is no easy way of socializing. There are judgments, and there are some people who do not click. If you face this predicament, you should download the Outist app and find people of the same values as you are with the same goals in life. After all, the world is your oyster, and no matter how big the world could get, you could always find someone who has the same ethics, values, principles, morals, and sense of fun as you do.
Match with people nearby and discover local events based on similar interests. Make friends and keep meetups near you safe by leaving references.